- This event has passed.
Marine Weather Forecasting with Paul Cousins
March 11 @ 1:30 pm - 4:00 pm
Practical Marine Weather:
a special presentation by Meteorologist Paul Cousins
sponsored by the Maine Association of Sea Kayak Guides & Instructors
Learn how to recognize early signs of changing weather and how to anticipate storms, squalls, fog, and wind shifts. You can check the forecast before you leave, but it might be hours old and doesn’t necessarily reflect the conditions in your area. Familiarize yourself with basic weather elements to understand how they will affect your boating experience.
- The Elements of Weather – Air masses, high & low pressure systems, the different kinds of fronts.
- Understanding Weather Symbols – Isobars, different symbols for wind, fronts, specific weather events, and how to interpret weather radar images.
- Weather Forecasting Resources
- “Nowcasting” – How to recognize local weather patterns on the water.
- Global Warming – Is it impacting weather in the Gulf of Maine?
Paul Cousins has been analyzing weather in the Northeast for over 40 years. With degrees in both meteorology and geophysics, he has obtained broadcasting seals from both the American Meteorological Society and the National Weather Association. Over the years he has been an invited keynote speaker for several New England scientific organizations and universities.
The event will be held at Nanuq Kayaking – on the Maine Wharf, behind the Portland Science Center and Scales Restaurant and across from the Casco Bay Lines Ferry Terminal.
Cost for the presentation is $20, and $10 for MASKGI members. You may join MASKGI on the day of the event and take advantage of the discount. Printed materials to take away are included.
EVENT IS FULLY BOOKED AS OF 2/20/2017
Thanks for your support!