Baja. It's about getting out there and enjoying being on islands with kayaks. Making exactly what you want of your vacation. Challenging yourself or relaxing. Exploring, refining paddling skills, practicing yoga, sketching, trying out different kayaks, learning about the natural history and cultural history of this fascinating place. Or just being.
What happens on a women's kayak trip that doesn’t happen on a typical trip?
Some will never know! Women, if you enjoy the company of other adventurous women, or find it more relaxing, want to be inspired by other outdoorsy, fun-loving females, please join us April 4-12, 2019! We’d love to share the magic with you.
Our Loreto Islands Women's Adventure takes place in the Loreto National Marine Park on Carmen and Danzante Islands. Featured in UNESCO’s World Heritage list of the Islands of the Gulf, these islands are called the richest and most varied of any island-sea property: in other words, the highest wow-per-stroke factor.
Although you can learn a lot about kayaking here, our trip is about much more than paddling.
Peek into tide pools, comb beaches for whimsical and mysterious creatures: the shell of the paper nautilus, the prickly skeleton of a pufferfish. Hike inland to discover geological treasures and rewarding views. Snorkel in the world’s youngest and richest ocean. Colorful angelfish reward your efforts.
And don’t forget the nighttime stars and planets. With zero light pollution, the nighttime views are out of this world. Literally!
It's about connecting with this amazing environment, and connecting with ourselves.
Itinerary (As always, it is subject to change due to weather.)
Thursday, April 4, 2019. Travel to Loreto. Check into hotel rooms, and meet for evening briefing.
Friday, April 5, 2019. Day trip to Tabor Canyon.
Saturday, April 6 - Thursday, April 11, 2019. 6-day Sea Kayaking Expedition
- Day 1. Taxi ride to launch. Group gear division and boat packing. Short paddle to camping beach. Introduction to desert camping. Afternoon exploration and/or skills workshop. Finish your first day on the island with a delicious dinner you wouldn’t believe could be cooked on a beach!
- Days 2 and 3. Full day paddles with stops at interesting beaches on Carmen Island. Look for shells embedded in the limestone cliffs. Discover the abundance of underwater life by snorkeling the rocky reefs. Ten percent of the fish species found here live nowhere else on earth!
- Day 4. Layover for custom coaching, paddling empty boats, hiking, snorkeling, or just lying on the sand and soaking in the moment. Start learning that roll from one of our talented women guide-coaches!
- Day 5. Optional sunrise paddle. Crossing to Danzante Island for more spectacular snorkeling and an appreciation of colorful geology. Dive deep into the night sky for a spectacular show of stars, planets, and the moon in her various phases.
- Day 6. Pack up and enjoy a final few miles of paddling to the take-out. Return to hotels for that well-deserved shower. Meet for farewell dinner.
- Friday, April 12, 2019. Travel back to Reality.
- RT airport transfers on April 4 and 12.
- Hotel room in Loreto, double occupancy, for 3 nights: April 4, 5, and 11.
- Day trip to Tabor Canyon on April 5.
- 6-day sea kayaking expedition, fully outfitted and including all meals prepared. (Expedition-grade sea kayaks, all kayaking gear, wetsuits, snorkel set, tents, Therm-a-Rest sleeping pads, camp chairs.)
- 3 women guides: Maria Aguilar - Sea Kayak Baja Mexico, Liz Johnson - Maine Island Kayak Co, Bonnie Johnson - NOLS.
- Travel to Loreto.
- Lodging Single Supplement, if desired.
- Meals while in Loreto.
- Sleeping bag and personal items.
What to expect:
The pace and distances are gentle, averaging 4-8 nautical miles per day, or approximately 2-4 hours of paddling. However, there are always opportunities to go back onto the water once camp is set up.
- Average Daily Distance: 4-8nm (2-4 hours of paddling.)
- Max Daily Distance: 12nm.
- Crossings: up to 4nm.
- Surf Landings: up to 1′.
- Wind: calm to 12kts, beginning whitecaps.
- Seas: up to 2′.
- April’s weather: dry; average temperatures - high 84ºF, low 58ºF.
- Water temperature: 68-72ºF.
Payment and Policies:
Deposit: $895.00 (50% of the trip cost) upon registration will hold your place.
Remainder: $895.00 due on February 1, 2019.
Up to 60 days in advance of trip: full refund minus $200.
60 to 30 days in advance of trip: refund half of trip value.
Within 30 days of trip: no refund for any reason.
We recognize that things happen to compromise plans. Sea Kayak Baja Mexico makes financial commitments to your trip and needs to honor those.
If the Loreto Islands Women's Adventure sounds like your kind of trip, we'd love to have you join us.
How to Register
- Complete the form on this page and send it to us. We will respond when we receive it.
- You will receive a PayPal invoice for the deposit amount to make your initial payment.
- Register your details with Sea Kayak Baja Mexico via the reservation link we send you.
- Get ready to pack your bags!
Please don't hesitate to ask! Send Liz an email or give her a call at 207-865-6626.